Brevard College and the Community Set to Honor Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Together
Brevard College and the community will join together to honor and celebrate the legacy of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Jan. 19-21
This is the 23rd year that Transylvania County has celebrated the life of Dr. King. This year's events include:
- A free interfaith prayer brunch at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 19, at Bethel “A” Baptist Church located at 290 Oakdale St.
- A Brevard College student-led initiative called the MLK Challenge on Saturday, Jan. 19. During the Challenge, more than 100 Brevard College and Rise and Shine Freedom School students will venture out and give back to the community of Brevard. The students will work with nonprofits in the area, including: Bread of Life, SAFE, The Sharing House, Transylvania Historic Center, and many more. Part of the Challenge includes having the students either purchase or find donations for the resources/supplies needed to complete their community projects.
- A joint worship service at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 20, at Bethel “A” Baptist Church at 290 Oakdale St.
- The "Walk to Change" from Bethel Baptist Church at 20 Mills Ave to Brevard College’s Porter Center, which begins at 6 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 21. During the walk, participants are asked to bring signs, if they wish, and to reflect on the civil rights movement and walk together as a united community to celebrate Dr. King’s life. Additional parking for walk participants will be available at Open Bible Church of God in Christ on Mills Avenue.
- A community-wide MLK Celebration, including the Brevard Middle School Chorus, at Brevard College’s Porter Center at 7 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 21. Van transportation back to Bethel Baptist Church for anyone who walked to the Celebration will be available at the conclusion of the evening’s performances.
This year’s Celebration Partners include: Bethel Baptist Church, Bethel “A” Baptist Church, Brevard College, Brevard/Transylvania County Human Relations Council, and Neighbors in Ministry/Rise & Shine CDF Freedom School.
For more information, please contact Sue Null at 828-877-2550.