Challenge yourself in Brevard’s renowned Music program. At Brevard, you’ll find a vibrant community of student musicians, a world-class performance facility, breathtaking scenery, and faculty who are active performers. Your musical studies here will prepare you for a variety of paths – graduate school, teaching, performance, or careers outside the field – and will set you on a lifelong journey of artistic and intellectual growth.
Music majors receive a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music, Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music Education (grades K-12), or a Bachelor of Music (BM) in Performance. A Minor in Music is also available. Brevard College has been fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) since 1967.
*Have questions about our music department? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here’s some examples of the exciting things Brevard Music students are doing!
- Audition for the Asheville Lyric Opera, the Brevard Philharmonic, or the Asheville or Hendersonville Symphonies. Many Brevard music students have performed as subs or extras in regional orchestras and the Asheville Lyric Opera. A student recently performed a principal role in the opera Dead Man Walking and shared the stage with two Metropolitan Opera veterans.
- Write professional concert reviews as an intern for Classical Voice of North Carolina. We provide exclusive internships as music or theater critics with Classical Voice of North Carolina, a statewide online arts journal. Interns attend concerts or theater events and submit their reviews to CVNC editors, who mentor them and prepare their copy for publication online. Several Brevard graduates are now successful professional art journalists because of this incredible opportunity.
- Participate in a world-premiere composition, either as a composer or a performer-collaborator. Our wind ensemble students have live access to composers in rehearsals and performances of new works. Composers use Skype and Google Hangouts to give our students feedback during rehearsals, then talk with the audiences about their pieces.
- Make your mark as a performer or scholar at regional conferences, auditions, and symposia. Once per semester, Brevard voice students attend state chapter conference auditions for the National Association of Teachers of Singing. They perform for a panel of teachers and observe master classes, performances, and a winner’s recital. In Fall 2013, two Brevard students won their respective categories, marking the first time Brevard College has had two first place scorers at these auditions. Brevard has also had one Mid-Atlantic regional first place winner, six regional qualifiers, and three first-place state winners.
- Learn more about music scholarships under “Fine Arts Scholarships”
- Instrumental - Symphonic Winds, Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Combos, Chamber Music, Percussion Ensemble
- Vocal - Concert Choir, Chamber Chorale, Opera Scenes, Musical Theatre
A Music degree from Brevard can lead to careers in a variety of fields. Here’s a small sample of the positions currently held by BC Music graduates:
- Music teacher
- Arts administrator
- Church musician
- Published writers and composers
- Professional performers and conductors
“I will forever be grateful for the professors who went beyond what is expected in the classroom - from introducing me to composers ”outside” the curriculum - to taking me to national and regional meetings of the American Musicological Society. There are so many possibilities for Brevard students who engage and inquire!”
- Brevard graduate
This state-of-the-art performance space, located on the Brevard College campus, is an outstanding resource for both the College and the community. It serves as a
- musical performance space for Brevard College productions and students, the Brevard Music Center, the Brevard Philharmonic, and local and regional groups
- art gallery and display for student and faculty work
- performance and rehearsal space for Brevard College theatre productions
- gathering place for special campus-wide events, celebrations, and galas