Don’t just perform - transform! At Brevard, you’ll find a vibrant community of student musicians, a world-class performance facility, breathtaking scenery, and faculty who are passionate about your success. Your musical studies here will prepare you for a variety of paths – graduate school, teaching, performance, or other careers in or outside the music field – and will set you on a lifelong journey of artistic and intellectual growth.
Music majors receive a
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music Education (grades K-12)
- Bachelor of Music (BM) in Performance
- Minor in Music
Brevard College has been fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) since 1967.
2017 Audition Dates & Information
- Monday, January 16, 2017
- Saturday, February 11, 2017
- Saturday, March 18, 2017 (instrumental only)
- Saturday, April 1, 2017
- Fill out an application for your Music Audition
- Music Audition Information and Instructions (PDF)
- Fine Arts Events Schedule
*Have questions about our music department? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some examples of the exciting things Brevard Music students are doing!
- Audition for the Asheville Lyric Opera, the Brevard Philharmonic, or the Asheville or Hendersonville Symphonies. Many Brevard music students have performed in regional orchestras and the Asheville Lyric Opera. A student recently performed a principal role in the opera Dead Man Walking, sharing the stage with two Metropolitan Opera veterans.
- Write professional concert reviews as an intern for Classical Voice of North Carolina. We provide exclusive internships as music or theater critics with Classical Voice of North Carolina, a statewide online arts journal. Interns attend concerts or theater events and submit their reviews to CVNC editors, who mentor them and prepare their copy for publication online. Several Brevard graduates are now successful professional art journalists because of this incredible opportunity.
- Participate in a world-premiere composition, either as a composer or a performer-collaborator. Our ensembles regularly program the works of living compsers sometimes with feedback or collaboration from the composer. Student composers frequently collaborate with peers and faculty to bring new works to life.
- Make your mark as a performer or scholar at regional conferences, auditions, and symposia. Once per semester, Brevard voice students attend state chapter auditions for the National Association of Teachers of Singing. They perform for a panel of teachers and observe master classes, performances, and a winner’s recital. Brevard students regularly place at the state level and advance to regional auditions. A few have even advanced to the national auditions. Brevard faculty have also taken music students to conferences of the Percussive Arts Society, North Carolina Educators’ Association, and the Amercian Musicological Society.
- Learn more about music scholarships under “Fine Arts Scholarships”
- Instrumental - Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Combos, Chamber Music, Percussion Ensemble
- Vocal - Concert Choir, Chamber Singers, Opera Scenes, Musical Theatre
A Music degree from Brevard can lead to careers in a variety of fields. Here are some samples of the accomplishments and positions held by BC Music graduates:
- Lighting and Recording Engineer - Brevard Music Center and New York’s Fashion Week
- High School Chorus Teacher and Children’s Choir Director
- Published Composer, Musical Curator, and Professor
- Arts Administration - Kennedy Center
- Ph.D Candidate in Musicology - University of Kentucky
- Touring ensemble performer in Europe and South America
“I will forever be grateful for the professors who went beyond what is expected in the classroom - from introducing me to composers ”outside” the curriculum - to taking me to national and regional meetings of the American Musicological Society. There are so many possibilities for Brevard students who engage and inquire!”
- Brevard graduate, Megan
“Thank you for the time you invest in each and every one of us, pushing us past the the limits we set for ourselves so that we know our true potential.”
-Brevard graduate, Verntasia (pictured above)
This state-of-the-art performance space is an outstanding resource for both the College and the community. It serves as a
- musical performance space for Brevard College productions and students, the Brevard Music Center, the Brevard Philharmonic, and local and regional groups
- performance and rehearsal space for Brevard College theatre productions
- gathering place for special campus-wide events, celebrations, and galas
- Learn more about the Porter Center