You are guaranteed to get hands-on in your time as a Brevard Biology student. Our knowledgeable faculty will push you to take advantage of Brevard’s incomparable natural surroundings and earn a truly unique education and marketable degree. Here you can combine your love of the outdoors with field studies and lab research, pursue a veterinary internship, or specialize in local biodiversity. Come see it for yourself - visit Brevard today!
Biology majors receive a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Biology. A Minor in Biology is available.
- For classes and projects, you’ll explore nearby national and state forests, DuPont State Forest, Blue Ridge Parkway, and The Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- Take a class that is designed around the North Carolina Environmental Education Certification Program. Students will complete much of the work in this class and can finish the program before graduation.
- Explore internship opportunities with the Forest Service, the Fish and Wildlife Service, and nearby Wildlife Centers, Zoos, and Aquaria.
- In Animals and Plants of the Southern Appalachians, you’ll travel into local forests to study local plants and animals. The majority of the class is held in the field, and the textbook is written by Brevard professor Dr. Jennifer Frick-Ruppert.
- In Biodiversity, you’ll test common objects for types of bacteria, collect insects with a black night light, collect aquatic invertebrates from local streams, and handle living marine invertebrates and small fish in our own large salt-water aquarium.
- In Developmental Biology, you’ll follow the development of chickens, tadpoles, and sea urchins, then release native frogs back into local environments and hatch chicks for local farmers.
A Biology degree from Brevard can lead to careers in a variety of fields. Meet some of our alumni:
- Graduate Students in Wildlife Management, Forestry, and Aquatic Systems
- Environmental Consulting and Assessment
- Physician Assistant
“Dr. White is a great instructor. She has a great sense of humor and can have a blast in the classroom, but still stays on topic and makes learning fun. She is a very helpful and understanding instructor - it’s clear she loves what she does. Dr. White’s Anatomy and Physiology class is by far one of my favorites to attend!”
- current Brevard student