Greetings from Alumni Board President, Davis A. Whitfield-Cargile ‘05
Whether you graduated 60 years ago, 10 years ago or last May, you are a valued member of the Brevard College Alumni Association. This May, Brevard College celebrated the 162nd Commencement. As alumni of Brevard, we take pride in each other’s successes and the success of the College. Our graduates are veterinarians, physicians, nurses, entrepreneurs, public administrators, business leaders, educators, professors, world-renowned musicians and artists, lawyers, scientists, professional athletes, and other valuable contributors to society. Regardless of the number of years since we commenced, or the places our lives have taken us, the motto, “Learn in Order to Serve,” and the lessons we learned at Brevard guide us on our journey and bind us to one another and to Brevard College.
While some of our journeys have taken us away from Brevard, and many years may have passed since we last visited, the College remains your beautiful and thriving alma matter. As the president of the board of your Alumni Association, I encourage you to re-engage, or remain engaged, as the case may be, with Brevard College. Let me highlight some recent news:
- A new residence hall is slated to open in the fall of 2016; construction is ongoing
- Bill’s Boiler House is a brand-new coffee shop on campus that opened to students and the public in the summer of 2015
- We have added new majors and scheduling that provides students more experiential learning opportunities
- We are welcoming new faculty with a depth of experiences and expertise, continuing our commitment to excellence in the classroom
- In order to align with the College’s mission, enhance the student experience, and position Brevard with schools similar in size and resources, over the next four years, Brevard will reclassify our athletics program to NCAA Division III
- In Spring 2015, the Board of Trustees committed to divesting from fossil fuels by 2018
- Homecoming is October 7-9, 2016, and is sure to be a fun weekend
All of these advancements are in furtherance of our mission: “Brevard College is committed to an experiential liberal arts education that encourages personal growth and inspires artistic, intellectual, and social action.” As you hear about news on campus, I encourage you to remain connected and engaged by seeking information from BC staff. We want our alumni to be an even greater part of our future and to be informed and knowledgeable of our advancements. Remember, Brevard is your College.
We also want to find out what you are doing and where you are. We want to celebrate your life events and successes. We want to connect you with other alumni in your field or region. And yes, we want you to want to give back to Brevard College. Whether you give money to the College on a regular basis or have never made a donation, you are a part of Brevard College. I want to encourage each of you to give back to Brevard on an annual basis. It is important that we maintain a high percentage of alumni giving each year – even if you can only give a small amount. By giving some amount each year, you voice your support for the college and make it easier to raise the funds necessary to enhance the Brevard College experience for each generation of new students.
We hope to hear from you and see you on campus at Homecoming or other events. Brevard is your college, and you are always welcome.
Please don’t hesitate to give me a call, send an email or stop by for a visit. My contact information is below.
Davis Whitfield-Cargile ‘05
147 E. Main Street, Suite 300
Brevard, NC 28712